On Sunday 10th November 2019, at the beginning of morning worship, a poppy wreath was laid at Ballynahinch Congregational Church in tribute to our War Dead.
The wreath was laid by James and Joshua Gibbons, accompanied by Church Trustee Sammy Graham.
Stephen Wilson played the Last Post. The congregation, led by the Minister the Rev Victor Neill, observed a minute’s silence, in remembrance of all who fought and died for our freedom.
Ballynahinch’s original War Memorial was erected in 1934, at the instance of Rev Thomas Warwick, Minister of this church 1928-50. Appropriately, when that Cenotaph was fully renovated in 2015, the old 1914-18 and 1939-45 date-stones were salvaged and incorporated into the church’s existing War Memorial Hall.
In his long ministry, Rev Warwick, a Chaplain to the Forces in World War One, lived to see more names added to the War Memorial, after World War Two.